Friday 6 June 2014


On a quiet lazy afternoon, he got off the bus, walked down a quiet lane to a small cottage with peeling paint and faded curtains. Suddenly a voice behind him asked, “Are you looking for someone?” With a huge torment in my heart and an aching desire, with a lot of effort I looked at the identity card in my confused hands and asked for Mr. Singh. The old man looked at me with his dull grey yet sharp experienced eyes look at me and gave me a positive smile. He directed me to a huge farmhouse where big cars were parked. It looked so royal, yet so simple. He said “This is Me. Singh’s house, most of the times he stays here.”I had forgotten the rest that had captured my mind earlier. All I was thinking at that moment that how could such a royal bungalow be amidst these small simple houses and old cottages? I entered the door of that enormous bungalow Ram, the old man with those mysterious eyes left me there and said, “Hope you meet him.”  He smiled as if he knew everything.
I went ahead saw a tall dark man well dressed in the finest attire which I had seen a few wearing who used to park their cars outside my pan shop. He was sitting on the breakfast table and having breakfast, with one hand and holding the newspaper in the other. The table was well led as I had always seen it in the movies with waiters standing all around. Things were so organized, his life sorted unlike others. One of his waiters with a lot of respect and courtesy asked told him, “Sir there is someone to visit you.” By removing the newspaper from his face he looked at me, and asked “yes, what brings you here young man?” I was a so hesitant, so conscious as he looked at me but the way he asked me, his voice so humble the look on his face so simple, made me feel like home. An enlarged version of the face I had seen in his identity card. By then I was confident and happy on the decision I had taken.
(Still flauntingly) I replied:  Saheb I found your wallet, at Kurar village outside my pan shop on the pavement.

Mr.Singh: Oh Bappa! thank you so much! I had been looking for it.Looking for something apart from money, he pulled out an old picture from it.
Mr. Singh: You don’t know young man what you have done for me. This is the most special picture of my wife and my kids that I have as their memory.
As he said he his eyes became numb and voice chocked. Clearing his throat and gaining back the steadiness in his voice he said, “I am really glad, glad for your honesty and the pain you took to return this wallet.” Taking out entire money from the wallet he kept on my hand. “This is yours you have earned it. You totally deserve it. In fact much more than this.”
Mr. Singh:  Do you wish for anything?
I : No sahib I can’t ask for more. This is more than enough.
Mr. Singh: What do you do young man?
By now I was already spellbound by his former gestures and generosity. Everything had come to me as a shock. 
I slowly replied:  I have a pan shop at Kurar village. 
Mr. Singh:” Do you want to earn well and make it big in life?” (He immediately said.)”I really like you young man and want you to be rich and successful in your life. Don’t you also wish for the same?”
I: If I get an opportunity sahib then why not.
Mr. Singh: “Here is your opportunity my dear.” He said putting his generous hand around my meek shoulder.
“I have a big 4yourprice Company. I will hire you, and give you proper training so that you can reach the top position in my company very soon.”
I: “But sir....”
Mr. Singh: With a man so honest I am sure you will definitely make it big in life.” 
I said: Sir it is a very big thing will I be able to manage it?
Mr. Singh: “Of course young man you can do it! Young man you have bought to me my kids and wife’s precious memory back.”  He looked at the picture in his hand in which his wife was holding the new born kids in her hand. It was in a hospital. Old memories captured his mind once again. Deviating from those old thoughts he took me inside his house.
It’s today, 20 years later that I am looking outside this multi storied office building window. Standing in my cabin thinking from where I should start my story to success to address the press conference. From where and how should I begin my journey from a pan seller to the CEO of India’s biggest 4yourprice Company’s CEO?
There was definitely a reason why my conscience did not allow me to steal that money despite its maximum need to me. Despite of knowing the fact that my family was under debt I had already mortgaged my shop. Still there was something that pulled me towards Mr. Singh’s bungalow. Either it was his want for his family’s memory or..the morning prayer I had said before leaving for work. Had it not been Mr. Singh that day m and my family would have not been able to say their morning prayers ever.  There was definitely a reason to it. A decision that changed my life! A turning point in my life.  A journey that was truly unforgettable. As they say, all is well that ends well. Mr. Singh may not be there in this world to see the fruit grow out of the seed he had germinated but truly whatever I am today is an outcome of the encounter with that great man on that quiet lazy afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. wow..nice Article .. i 'm really inspired from this article ..thanks 4yourprice to publish such type of article.

    ReplyDelete